Ph.D. in English, 2012. University of Texas at Austin.
M.A. in English, 2006. University of Texas at Austin.
B.A. in Plan II – Liberal Arts Honors, 2001. University of Texas at Austin.
Chair, Department of English, St. Bonaventure University. 2020-present.
Associate Professor, Department of English, St. Bonaventure University. 2018-present.
Assistant Professor, Department of English, St. Bonaventure University. 2012-2018.
Director of Composition, St. Bonaventure University. 2013-2020.
Director of the Plassmann Writing Center, St. Bonaventure University. 2015-2017.
Publications and Digital Scholarship
Co-authored. “Crossing Battle Lines: Teaching Multimedia Literacies Through Alternate Reality Games.” Kairos 17.3 (Summer 2013). web
“Procedural Rhetorics / Rhetoric’s Procedures: Rhetorical Peaks and What It Means to Win the Game.” Currents in Electronic Literacy (Summer 2010). web
“Remapping Rhetorical Peaks: A Video Game for First-Year Writing.” Computers and Composition Online (Fall 2008). web
Rhetorical Peaks. Videogame developed for the Digital Writing and Research Lab. web
Fellowships, Grants, and Awards
- Keenan-Martine Grant, “Ungrading Workshop,” St. Bonaventure University, 2021.
- Keenan-Martine Grant, “Digital Humanities Lab,” St. Bonaventure University, 2017.
- The Best of the Independent Rhetoric & Composition Journals 2013 selection for “Crossing Battle Lines.” Parlor Press, 2015.
- Kairos 2013 Best Webtext Award for “Crossing Battle Lines”
- Harry Ransom Center Dissertation Fellowship for Archival Research, Fall 2011.
- Department of English Dissertation Fellowship, University of Texas at Austin, Spring 2011.
- Humanities Gaming Institute Fellow, University of South Carolina, June 2010.
- John Slatin Prize for Mastery of Electronic Media in Education, Department of Rhetoric and Writing, University of Texas at Austin, May 2010.
“Should a Cloud Replace a Compass? Wandering at the Frontiers of Subjectivity.” Council of Writing Program Administrators Conference. Cancelled due to COVID-19.
“Meditation, Mindfulness, and Memoir: Revisiting the Self and Subjectivity.” Council of Writing Program Administrators Conference, Baltimore, Maryland. July 2019.
“Reliability, Validity, and Absurdity: Rubrics and the Sustainable Writing Program.”“Assessing Assessment for Writing Programs” panel, Council of Writing Program Administrators Conference, Boise, Idaho. July 2015.
“Immediation: Responsivity in the Writing Classroom.” “Discourse Communities and Responsivity: Medical Education, Status Updates, and the Writing Classroom” panel, Computers and Writing Conference, Pullman, Washington. June 2014.
“Language, Topology, and the Logic of Surfaces.” “Timing and Topology: Advances in Rhetorical Theory” panel, Rhetoric Society of America Conference, San Antonio, Texas. May 2014.
“Reciprocal Writing Machines.” “Silence and Machination within Rhetoric and Pedagogy” panel, Computers and Writing Conference, Frostburg, Maryland. June 2013.
“Composing Prospects.” “Latour’s Compositionism and the Angel of History” panel, HASTAC Conference, Toronto. April 2013.
“Beyond the Symbolic Frame: Revisiting Burke.” “Kenneth Burke” panel, Rhetoric Society of America Conference, Philadelphia. May 2012.
“Rhetorical Gaming and Procedural Engagement.” “Procedures, Play, and Possibility Spaces” panel, Conference on College Composition and Communication Convention, St. Louis. March 2012.
“Sublime Identification and Kenneth Burke’s Call to Rhetoric.” “Kenneth Burke and Identification” panel, Rhetoric Society of America Conference, Minneapolis. May 2010.
“Rhetorical Peaks: Gaming in the Writing Classroom.” “Virtual Worlds and Pedagogy” panel, Modern Language Society Conference, Philadelphia. December 2009.
“Welcome to Rhetorical Peaks, a Video Game for First-Year Writing.” “We Got Game: Effective Strategies for Using New Media Games in Writing Instruction” panel, Conference on College Composition and Communication Convention, San Francisco. March 2009.
“The Micro-Sublime in the Postmodern.” “The Sublime in the Modern World: Too Much, Too Late, Too Soon?” panel, Midwest Modern Language Society Conference, Cleveland. November 2007.
“‘It’s hard to know how we should feel about this’: The Rhetorical Sublime in the Work of Don DeLillo and David Lynch.” “Don DeLillo and His Contemporaries” panel, American Literature Association Conference, Boston. May 2007.
THATCamp Unconference, Houston. April 2011.
THATCamp Unconference, Austin. August 2009.
Institutes and Professional Development
- Curriculum and Program Transformation: Tri-College Faculty and Staff Summer Seminar. Alfred State University, June 2017 and June 2018.
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education 2016 Annual Conference. Philadelphia, December 2016.
- 2016 Teaching and Learning National Institute: Using Evidence for Improvement. Evergreen State College, August 2016.
- Humanities Gaming Institute. University of South Carolina, June 2010.
St. Bonaventure University, 2012-present
- Writing I and Writing II (First-Year Writing)
- Introduction to Writing Studies
- Advanced Oral and Written Communication
- Professional Communication
- Writing in Digital Environments
- Digital Rhetoric
- Senior Workshop
- Composition Theory (graduate)
- Teaching Practicum (graduate)
- 20th Century American Literature (graduate)
University of Texas at Austin, 2006-2012
- Supervised Teaching in English (graduate)
- Critical Reading and Persuasive Writing
- Introduction to Rhetoric and Writing
- Writing in Digital Environments
- “I Believe in Miracles”: The Rhetoric of Postmodernity
- Literature and Film
Master’s Thesis Committees, St. Bonaventure University
- Maria Liuzzo (Second Reader). “Introductory Writing: Questions on Curriculum,” 2018.
- Marie Rankin (Third Reader). “The Annotated Prodigal Summer: An Introduction and Annotation of Barbara Kingsolver’s Novel,” 2018.
- Megan McIntyre (Director). “Can I Say That in a Paper? Student Views of Audience and an Analysis of How They Influence Language Choice in Composition,” 2018.
- Alyssa Brown (Third Reader). “Cultural and Literary Annotations Towards a Definitive Edition of Amy Tan’s The Joy Luck Club (1989),” 2018.
- Robert Barna (Director). “Playing at Your Self: Ludonarratological Identification,” 2017.
- Simon Wagner (Director). “Civility and the Social: An Exploration of Interaction and Emotion on Twitter,” 2017.
- Thomas Bellucco (Director). “Grammatical Collaboration: Why a Collaborative Grammar Approach is Imperative for Writers and Educators,” 2017.
- Kevin Cooley (Third Reader). “Pressing Play on Pictures: Meaning-making and Multimedia in Contemporary North American Comics,” 2016.
- Brett Keegan (Director). “Poaching, Slashing, and Composing: The Ecologies of Fanfiction,” 2015.
- Helen Ventura (Director). “The Under-anthologized: Media Rhetoric in Vietnam War Poetry,” 2015.
- Maria Boersma (Third Reader). “The Political Individual in Frank J. Webb’s The Garies and Their Friends,” 2014.
- David Boocock (Director). “Composition Instruction in the Digital Age: An Analysis of Massive Open Online Courses,” 2014.
- Megan Hartline (Second Reader). “Assimilation and Context: Theories of Academic Literacy in the United States and the United Kingdom,” 2013.
Member, Presidential Commission for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, St. Bonaventure University. Fall 2020 – present.
Member, Middle States Permanent Accreditation Committee, St. Bonaventure University. Spring 2016 – present.
Editorial Board, The Journal for Undergraduate Multimedia Production. 2010 – present.
Listserv Manager, The Don DeLillo Society. 2007 – present.
Member, APEC Review Board, St. Bonaventure University. Fall 2013 – Spring 2017.
Chair, Writing Intensive Committee for the General Education Curriculum, St. Bonaventure University. Fall 2016 – Spring 2020.
Member, First-Year Writing Committee for the General Education Curriculum, St. Bonaventure University. Fall 2016 – Spring 2020.
Member, Academic Honesty Committee, St. Bonaventure University. Fall 2015 – Spring 2017.
Member, Communication and Organizational Development Task Force – University Planning Commission, St. Bonaventure University. Fall 2015 – Spring 2016.
Member, Committee for an Online Humanities and Social Sciences Degree, St. Bonaventure University. Spring 2014.
Member, Middle States Subcommittee on Standards Four and Five, St. Bonaventure University. Fall 2013 – Spring 2014.
Member, Professional and Creative Writing Major Development Committee, St. Bonaventure University. Fall 2012 – Spring 2013.
Search Committee Member, MSED Childhood Literacy tenure-track position, School of Education, St. Bonaventure University. Spring 2013.