In this short paper (one page, single-spaced, 1″ margins, 12 pt font), you should reflect on the field you wish to enter and your relationship to it. Your thoughts here need not be fully developed, but you should be as thorough as possible. We will return to this paper throughout the semester as our understanding of our given fields develops. Your paper should address the following prompts and questions:
- What questions and problems will you encounter as you move into the specific section of the world you set for yourself? What issues are important to your field? How has the field responded to these questions, problems, and issues?
- What are the main social practices that your field engages in? How do these social practices contribute to the greater society?
- What are the values and commitments of this field/discipline/vocation/endeavor? How would you describe its orientation toward the world and the problems it addresses?
- What are the “trained incapacities” of your field and its orientation? What are you less likely to be sensitive to, less likely to consider, more likely to be blind to based on your training in the field?
- How do you hope to participate in and contribute to this field? What role do you want it to play in your life?