These additional policies aim to make sure our experience together during the pandemic is both safe and productive.
- Attendance. Your top priority this semester should be maintaining your own health and safety and helping to protect the health and safety of others. If you have Covid-19 symptoms or otherwise believe you might have been exposed to the virus, please do not come to class. Any absences along these lines will be excused. If you are worried about attending class at any point due to concern for your own health, please let me know.
- In-class precautions. Please wear a mask at all times during class. Our class seating will also be arranged to allow for social distancing, so please maintain social distancing during class. We will also have a sanitation routine that will help ensure we maintain clean workspaces. If you have any concerns about how things are going in class (for example, you see other people not properly wearing masks, or you are concerned about getting too close to others), please let me know.
- Accessibility and accommodations. Our new circumstances might raise new concerns or needs around accessibility and accommodations. For example, it might be harder to hear everything in class; it might be harder to access campus technology or good places to work if some spaces are closed or accommodate fewer people. If you have any issues along these lines in class or outside of class, please let me know.
- End of semester. We will not be returning to campus after Thanksgiving, but we will still have some work left to do. If you have any concerns about having access to the necessary technology at the end of the semester (for example, a computer with an internet connection so you can complete and submit our final work), please let me know.
- Mental health. Focusing on your mental health will be just as important as your physical health this semester. While this is always true, the circumstances likely present you with new and additional mental health challenges. Please do what you need to take care of yourself. Our class can be flexible in terms of deadlines and other course demands, so let me know what I can do to help and accommodate your needs.
In other words, I recognize how difficult it is to try to succeed in school right now with everything else going on. I do believe we can do good work together this semester and that you will be able to improve and grow as a writer, but we can also be flexible in the face of challenging circumstances. Again, the top priority is health and safety, so let me know if I can do anything to help.